New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down

Sunday, April 15, 2007

It occurred to me the other day that this song could be the greatest epic of the decade. It meets all the right criteria; it's over five minutes long, it builds from a slow piano driven ballad to an all out rock explosion then fades out slowly in a mess of piano and guitar. Of course this is not the only criteria for an epic, but the rest are generally opinion driven and differ person to person. What bought me on to this topic was remembering a conversation me and a friend had a few years back, when we tried to list our top ten epic songs of all time. Of course naturally we went back through the classics, Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles and Bowie. But we both came out with one song on top, The Velvet Underground's 'Oh! Sweet Nuthin'. I think David Bowie's 'Heroes' was also high on the list.
So it is to this list I now have to add 'New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down'. And it goes pretty high on the list. It's a big call I know, but this song has something special. I put the winning touch down to the lyrics of James Murphy. It's no secret that I have a soft spot for great songwriting, so lines like 'but they shuttered your stores/ when you opened the doors/ to the cops who were bored once they'd run out of crime' really set me off. 'New York, you're perfect, oh please don't change a thing/ your mild billionaire mayor's now convinced he's a king', this is absolute solid gold. The rest of the albums pretty damn good as well. LCD Soundsystem could have one of the albums of the year already.
So here's the song in it's entirerity, all five minutes thirty five of it.

  • LCD Soundsystem- New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down: MP3
  • 3 Comments:

    At 12:32 pm, February 15, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What day is it today?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Signature:buy levitra professional online ftu

     
    At 11:01 am, February 28, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Despiteā€¦
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Signature:lipitor 20mg baybn
    generic lexapro qdowh

     
    At 1:58 am, March 13, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory Music Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory

    Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
    the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

     Subscribe in a reader

    Add Your Music Blog! Blog Directory