Free Day Friday II

Friday, September 08, 2006

It's Friday already, and like last week I wandered the music stores. It's been a quiet week for me on the music front, no CD's in the mail to review. I got some tickets for gigs next week though, so I'm looking forward to that. The listening posts were pretty plain today, not a lot of music that interested me got added this week. It was so unattractive that I even listened to the new Mint Chicks album again. Here's a word on the stuff I did listen too.

The only CD out of the twenty or so that caught my eye, was the latest Lambchop release Damaged. My previous exposure to Lambchop is limited, but I'd heard enough to know I might like it. And like it I did, in fact I was blown away by how good it was. The album is full of beautiful ballads. My favourite song was 'Prepared', with it's delightfully driven piano it reminded me of Joni Mitchell. Damaged is definitely an album for those dark rainy night's when you're lying in bed alone. With a bit more listening this could be a contender for my top 10 albums of the year.

I had to search for this next one. What I stumbled across was the debut solo album from Ned Collette (lead vocalist from City City City). Titled Jokes and Trials it surprised me a whole lot. It sounded nothing like City City City at all, which to me is a huge plus. The first few songs are just Ned and his guitar, singing along with some extremely well written lyrics. The second half of the album is a bit more open, with more instrumentation. Overall I enjoyed this immensely, this guy has a lot of potential to develop a good music career.


That's all I've got today, like I said, I ended up listening to the Mint Chicks again. Hopefully next Friday will yield some more exciting albums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Music Blogs -  Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

 Subscribe in a reader

Add Your Music Blog! Blog Directory